Joann Nesser  - Resources for the Spiritual Journey

Religion and Spirituality

Categories

Contemplative Christian Spirituality
powered by

Reflections

Morphing from smoke signals to the internet

At one time in prerecorded history and even in early recorded history the world of a people was very small.  Communication was smoke signals, drums and messenger between groups of the same tribes.  Each group had their own gods or ways of trying to express what somehow they innately knew that there was a force behind the created world.  They named their gods and worshipped these gods in ways that seemed appropriate to appease the gods and protect themselves.  All these groups and tribes thought they were they only people on earth.  The earth was flat and if they went too far they would fall off.  They could not imagine the world we know today. People lived in their own little worlds not imagining what people were like that lived in another part of the world.  Gradually the smaller gods were absorbed into what have become the great religions of the world as conquering groups overtook and absorbed tribal religions.   Even in the great world religions there are differences of practice and belief depending on the culture of the people in a particular part of the world.  Every culture worships the creator God in their own way and has developed their own sacred writings.  It has been only in recent years that communication and travel have made the world so small that we are living side by side with people of all religions and cultures.  The sacred writings of all religions are available to all no matter where one lives. When we were separated from people across the globe it was easy to think they were heathen, backward people that needed saving.  Particularly Christians tried to do just that.  It was easy to think that one’s scriptures were the only holy writings and one’s truth the only truth.  Now that we have everyone’s holy literature at our finger tips and can observe the spiritual practices of people of all faith traditions it becomes more difficult to make such triumphal claims.  Being able to read each other’s holy writings helps us realize that we aren’t so different after all.  We can see the same truths and hope for love, justice, peace and happiness in all who look to the creator God.  How we all have arrived at the particular path and tradition we now live in might be different but somehow we know that we all experience the same God.

Just as we have all morphed from our narrow view of the middle ages to the open forum of today’s culture, from and belief that the world was flat and everything revolved around it to understanding that the world is round and revolves around the sun it seems to me that we are evolving into a new understanding of God and scripture that encompasses more than we could every imagine

I think that the work of this age is to seek God and follow where God is taking us and let it unfold.  What is the new reformation people are talking and writing about?  Aren’t we in it?  I believe we are living the new reformation and each of us is part of the whole of what is happening.  There is a reformation going on inside each one of us that affects what is happening all over the world.  We are all connected.  The Mystery we call God is in each of us transforming us from within as well as transforming the world from within.  As Jesus said, it is like yeast in bread dough.  There is fermenting going on that will eventually leaven the whole but it doesn’t happen by some random act by a God up in the sky waving a magic wand. It happens inside the people who have ears to hear and are open to follow where God is taking them.  This is scary business.  It requires huge trust.   In order to have the needed trust it is important to reflect back on your own spiritual journey and the faithfulness of God.  It is important to remember how God has brought you safe this far in order to trust that God will lead you home.
By this age most of us have come to realize that the God of our childhood and younger years in more than what we could conceive of then. Can we trust that even at this age, the God as we have understood God, is even more than we can conceive or imagine? What will happen to us if we let go of all our images, all of our creeds and doctrines that have served the Church until this time and let God take us into the new age that is far more than any way we have known God before?

16 Comments to Morphing from smoke signals to the internet:

Comments RSS
文章写作网 on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:23 AM
沟通是您讨论的关键,我们必须改进它。也是培养我们沟通方式的人。

v on Friday, March 01, 2019 4:18 AM
v

buy essays online australia on Sunday, March 03, 2019 10:18 AM
Well, that was long time ago. I think you know it by now.

order essay uk on Monday, March 11, 2019 10:08 AM
I am a human that needs a lot of attention from father. The real father material is definitely seen by God. He is the one and only father that is capable of giving all the needs of his children. That is why I truly love him. Whenever I commit mistakes he is always right there to support and guide me. That is the real essence of a father. I am very thankful because even though I am a sinner there is someone who can truly accept me for who I am and what I am capable to do.

free psn generator on Friday, March 22, 2019 3:29 AM
Decide your own destiny. It isn’t up to your parents to decide whether you can play online PlayStation Games.

merchant account for travel agency on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:03 PM
It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.

Jax Teller Vest on Friday, April 19, 2019 1:38 AM
I liked this forum but I want get register on it.I want some quality stuff for professional paper writing service work but I don't know who to get register here.Kindly guide me please.Thank you.

webstagram on Monday, April 22, 2019 6:59 PM
It is very important to blog in the format of the magazine. This is quite a tremendous chef d oeuvre of the author and owner of the blog

Carol Danvers Leather Jacket on Friday, May 03, 2019 5:22 AM
I am so happy to come across this piece of write up, very much advanced my understanding to the next top level. Great job and continue to do same.

Anonymous on Monday, May 20, 2019 6:22 PM

essaypro on Monday, May 20, 2019 6:26 PM
This just made me realize how simple life was before. I am not really sure if what I feel right now is accurate because I am not even born yet during their time but it seems like life is getting worse everyday because of this world. I don't want to blame all of the negative feelings that I have to the world that we are living simply because we are the ones who are making decisions with our life though. However, I do still believe that the living environment has an effect with how we will see the world. I just dream sometimes of having a simpler life just like those people before.

Longmire Coat on Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:29 AM

celebrity net worth on Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:59 PM
Outstanding article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject. I will visit daily your blog because I know. It may be very beneficial for me.

Roblox online games on Sunday, June 30, 2019 11:15 PM
Roblox is a global platform that brings people together through play.

wwe supershowdown card on Friday, July 05, 2019 2:37 AM
Jey tried to dive and Usos hit Rowan with three super kicks. Usos hit a double suicide diving team to calculate Rowan.

Tony Stark Blue Jack on Thursday, July 11, 2019 12:43 AM
Outstanding article, with clear evidence to show that this organisation is in deep trouble.